turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwh5723

I rent my work truck by the day from my employer. Where can I record this expense on my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I rent my work truck by the day from my employer. Where can I record this expense on my return?

equipment rental on schedule C for the portion that is business use - commuting from home to a workplace is not deductible, 

Carl
Level 15

If you're a W-2 employee then any and all W-2 work related expenses aren't deductible. Period.

If you're self-employed then report it as an equipment rental on SCH C.

Hal_Al
Level 15

What does that mean: " I rent my work truck by the day from my employer"?

What's the details of the arrangement?  Are you paying your employer for your occasional personal use of the company vehicle? That's not deductible. 

I see you are using TurboTax Self Employed.  Are you a contract employee who rents the vehicle from your client-employer?  If so, you enter it as vehicle rent on line 20a of Schedule C.  TurboTax has an entry point for that.

Something else?  As a W-2 employee, you should not be paying your employer to use his vehicle in your work.  Job expenses are not deductible to you.  But vehicle expenses are deductible to the employer.  

mwh5723

@Hal_Al 

Thanks for the reply

I rent the truck every day 5 days per week and then paid on 1099. 

Can you tell me what section of the TurboTax is line 20a? I don't see vehicle rent on any part of expense sections as I work thru it. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

When you get to the screen titled "Business Expenses", click start at "All other expenses".  On the next screen enter your amount under "Equipment Rent".

Some might say that it should be entered as vehicle lease, instead of equipment rental.  You initially said, you "rent it by the day".  Later you say "rent the truck every day 5 days per week".  I think equipment rental is still best, particularly if you are not documenting miles.  It will definitely be easier navigating the TurboTax interview. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

That answer assumes the 1099-Misc includes all your compensation.  For example if you are paid $100 per day and pay them $20 for the vehicle, does the 1099-Misc show the full $100 or the $80 net?  If the 1099-Misc shows only the $80 net, you do not get to deduct the $20 again. It's already been deducted by not being included on the 1099-Misc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies