turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have traded some index options contacts and have gains in my 1256 section of my 1099-B how do I report this?

TT says to use the straddles and contacts section. but it only asks questions about straddles. what about just selling puts on regular index options?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have traded some index options contacts and have gains in my 1256 section of my 1099-B how do I report this?

Do not make any elections on the first screen after selecting Contracts and Straddles.

In the following screen, select Section 1256 contracts marked to market. and then enter the totals from each broker or account or report each transaction separately.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

by law gain or loss from 1256 contracts are 60% long-term and 40% short-term.  you can't get this by entering on 1099-B

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Do not make any elections on the first screen after selecting Contracts and Straddles.

In the following screen, select Section 1256 contracts marked to market. and then enter the totals from each broker or account or report each transaction separately.

section 1256 transactions are not reported individually.

Just enter your one important amount: aggregated profit or loss on Line 11 of the 1099-B.

If you didn't get a substitute/Futures 1099-B, then enter them like any other stock option trade. on Form 8949

Anonymous
Not applicable

by law gain or loss from 1256 contracts are 60% long-term and 40% short-term.  you can't get this by entering on 1099-B

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies