Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have capital gain reported on a K-1 from sale of property. A portion is passive and a portion is non-passive. Where do I enter the portions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I have capital gain reported on a K-1 from sale of property. A portion is passive and a portion is non-passive. Where do I enter the portions?

Please enter the information just the way it is on the form. The program will do the rest. Where do I enter a K-1 that I received?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I appreciate the response, but I don't think entering the info from the K-1 alone will do it.  My K-1 only reports a total number for section 1231 gain (in box 10).  The proportion of the gain that is non-passive is provided in a footnote so there is no place to enter it in Turbotax.  I have my doubts that Turbotax can handle this situation.  The program seems to treat all the gain as non-passive so it is not computing net investment interest tax (NIIT).  The passive part of the gain will be subject to the NIIT, and I am pretty sure I will owe some NIIT, but the program is not including the form 8960 to calculate the NIIT.  I guess will have to get a CPA this year.  

TerryA
Intuit Alumni

When a K-1 has more than one type of activity, it must must be split up into multiple K-1s for input into TT: One K-1 becomes the "passive" one with all the other values into it, since the footnote says only a portion of the 1231 is non-passive, everything else is probably passive. The passive portion of the 1231 gain is entered here.

The second K-1 (same K-1 entity name, etc.) reports that 1231 non-passive gain portion. Be sure to report that you materially participated so the program can handle it properly as non-passive.

Thanks for the reply I think this will work.  I have done something similar in the past because my K-1 used to report income in both Box 1 and 2, but I did not think of using this approach to split up passive and non-passive incomes. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

there is another way other than 2 k-1's.  the nonpassive goes on lines 8 or 9

the passive goes on line 11 type i - other ncome and then you need  to click the quick zoom link

and enter the amount on line 3 or 4

another suggestion. TT won't accept amounts on lines 1 and 2,  however if both are passive you can combine amounts and enter on line 1 

i have done as above for multiple years and have never heard from irs about this. 

Thanks for alternate suggestion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies