Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to get a home loan and they found an error in my 2017 tax return. It is with 6k in rental income that doesnt match the return that the IRS has. Please help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to get a home loan and they found an error in my 2017 tax return. It is with 6k in rental income that doesnt match the return that the IRS has. Please help

how do they know what the IRS has?  no one without the actual data can tell which is correct.  the TT return was prepared solely by you.  Where did you get your numbers from.  it could be the IRS data is based on 1099's  it received.  no way to know.     you can always call them

TomD8
Level 15

<<how do they know what the IRS has?>> 

Just an fyi - it's common practice for mortgage lenders to request tax transcripts directly from the IRS, so as to verify information provided by the prospective borrower.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Carl
Level 15

Just a wild guess, but it "sounds" to me like the IRS changed something on your 2017 tax return. If so, they would have notified you by mail. You very well may have just thrown the notification away if it made no difference to your 2017 tax liability. Since it's extremely rare for rental property to produce "taxable" rental income, the change they made probably made no difference to your tax liability. If it did make a difference, then you would have either received a check from the IRS if the difference was in your favor, or received a bill if the difference increased your tax liability.

But either way, you would have received "something" from the IRS notifying you, if they changed anything on your filed and accepted your tax return.

I think the mortgage underwriter has no idea how to read a transcript or a return (sadly all to common) ... ask to speak to a supervisor. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies