turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I recognize losses on foreign currency as well as stocks purchase and sale?

Situation:

A couple years back I opened a bank account and brokerage account in India solely for investing purposes.

I funded that foreign bank account using Xoom (essentially sold USD and bought INR).

Over time, while INR was declining, I kept funding the account to average my price down.

Also, I started buying certain stocks, which kept declining on me.

Now 2 years in,  I have meaningful losses -- the currency has declined about 7-20% (20% on the initial tranches and 7% on the last tranches);  stocks I bought have also declined about 50% (in local currency).  Incorporating the currency decline on stock transactions, the stock losses are about 70% in USD basis. 

Now I need to understand how to recognize capital gains/losses on foreign stocks as well the currency trades

Reporting Capital Gain/Losses on Stock Transactions seems relatively straightforward (although cumbersome as I have over 100 txns in several stocks)

Stock Gain / Loss = Sale Proceeds - Initial Cost

Sale proceeds = FX rate on date of sale * foreign currency sale price * volume of shares
Initial Cost = FX rate on date of purchase * foreign currency purchase price * volume of shares

Challenge is how do I report FX losses beyond the share purchase/sale txns? 

The reason I am asking is that while some of the FX losses get reflected in stock txns in the method above, not all of my losses on purchase and sale of currency get reflected 

For example, let's say I sent $200K at USDINR of 65, essentially took delivery of INR 13M (65*200K USD) in my Indian bank account

I didn’t buy stocks with all of INR 13M; I bought stock with let’s say INR 9M and that too over 12 months in several transactions

If I report combined currency and stock losses on my INR 9M stock sale, I lose out on FX losses on the remaining INR 4M, which are quite meaningful

I want to bring my money back, so will be incurring 15% FX loses on round trip for INR 4M balance, which was never used for stock trading and just went from my US account>India account>back in US account

I am wondering what is the best way to recognize my losses on both stock and FX?

Please advise! Thank you!

PS: Tagging some experts who seemed to have responded to similar questions in the forums  

@ColeenD3 @DaveF1006 @ThomasM125 @DavidD66 @MaryK4 @DianeC958 @BillM223 @KarenJ2 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
jtax
Level 10

How do I recognize losses on foreign currency as well as stocks purchase and sale?

This appears to be complex. Lots of law about companies and their operations, which doesn't apply. Too complicated for me to try to give you an answer. Instead all I can do is point you to resources that may help you figure out the answer.

It seems that you may be able to claim a loss (or gain >$200) when you convert the foreign currency back to USD, but that it may be ordinary income. See page 31 ("Foreign currency transaction") of https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

some articles of interest:

https://johnschachter.com/international-taxpayers/holding-a-foreign-currency-you-may-owe-tax-or-get-...

[detailed description at the end, with some subtlities]

https://www.investmentnews.com/reporting-a-clients-foreign-currency-tax-transactions-tax-news-inform...

one view on how to enter in TT

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/losses-in-a-foreign-cash-account...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies