Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I claim rental loss during the pandemic

Tenant was laid off and law was passed by govt to prevent from being evicted.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You will not directly claim a loss based on rental income that you did not collect. 

Instead, you will be reporting a lower rental income amount than you would have under normal circumstances since some of your rent was not collected.  With the lower income and your normal rental expenses, the property may show an overall loss or greater loss than it would have if you had been able to collect all of your rent.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I normally rent 2 bedrooms in my home in a university town through out the year. In March 2020 my student boarders moved out to continue their courses online at home for health safety reasons. Therefore I only had boarders for part of the year, until the vaccines were available, even though that would not  have been my choice. How do I accurately report this on my Schedule E? 

@richinspirit wrote:

I normally rent 2 bedrooms in my home in a university town through out the year. In March 2020 my student boarders moved out to continue their courses online at home for health safety reasons. Therefore I only had boarders for part of the year, until the vaccines were available, even though that would not  have been my choice. How do I accurately report this on my Schedule E? 

You report the rent that you received.    You are not taxed on what you did not received.  You  simply have less income to report.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

You can not deduct or claim a loss on income that you never received and paid taxes on in the first place. You have no loss to claim anywhere on any tax return. All you have is less rental income to report and pay taxes on. That's it. There is no "loss".

Perhaps I was not specific enough in my question; if my rooms were not actually rented for the whole year how do I characterize that portion of my home? The guidance is not clear to me.

Carl
Level 15

f you had a room that was available for rent for the entire 365 days of the year, yet you only actually rented it for say, 150 days, that room was still one hundred percent business use provided you did not utilize that room for any personal use for even one single day of the year.

So if I'm renting for $1 a day and only rented it 150 days, that means I have $150 of income to report. If I did not use that room for any personal use for one single day during the tax year, then expenses for the entire year are deductibe *as if* it was rented out every single day of the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies