turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1116 Foreign Taxes on K-1 and 1099DIV

I have a K-1 with Foreign Taxes Paid and information for Line 14, Code B. Gross Income is 9,571, Qualified Divdends 5,270 and Taxes Paid 559. I also have a 1099DIV with Foreign Taxes paid of 123. The 1116 Worksheet is requiring the 3B, Adjusted basis for passive activity assets generating foreign source income. And 3C, Adjusted basis for total passive activity assets. I have been trying to figure this out for days. I'm stuck. It's generating a carryforward, I think because there's not much income or taxes due. Do I fill out a Form 1116 each foreign tax paid. If so, how do I do this. And how do I calculate the 3b & 3c? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If the K-1 income is passive category as is the 1099DIV, then you can use the same f1116. They would use different columns if they are different countries.

With regard to 3B and 3C, on the f1116 worksheet, put the pointer on the yellow cells in the total column and right click. On the box that appears, click on the data source and/or the "about" for additional information. Also the f1116 instructions will have information on these issues.

Yes, that helped. I've having so many problems completing taxes this year. It did finally ask me questions in a Step by Step. 

I can't seem to figure this out. Is there anyone who is an expert in this area who can help me? 

What is the "adjusted basis for passive activity assets generating source income"? 4(b) 3(a)  is $0 (there was no interest expense), so what would the adjusted basis be? Specifically what values is this looking for and how is the adjusted basis calculated?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies