Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Fidelity Investment import not working.

Read your missive, quick question since I am having only 8949 issues, no problem with 1099 created MISC,INT, DIV.  I am wondering if I can use H&R Block download Fidelity, get my information and use 

IMPORT>From Accounting Software> H&R creates a TXF file??

GLUA
Level 3

I have no idea.  I have not had a need to test that.

When I created an online account at TT and did the import from there, the 8949 seemed to be created.

If you tell the online version that you used TT for 2021, you are given the option of pulling in the 2021 information.  That was huge for me.  

Once I calmed down, I was able to enter much of my data into the online version.  It gave me a chance to see how the online version works.  It actually works fairly well.  I like to be able to see the Forms view to check things and I have not found a way with the online version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: spoke with TurboTax rep today and she was unable to find any additional info on the import issue.
She connected with level 2 support to get additional help and was informed that they are aware of this problem and this will be resolved at some point. They were not able to provide a time frame at this point. 

"will be resolved at some point" hopefully before April 15 😉

I've found even simple changes to the software can take a couple of months to get resolved.  You can always send in the form for a six month extension as you await the TT update.

Actual spoke to someone and showed them via Team viewer or Google the problem .  Once they realized and wasted 25 minutes of my time, sent me a link for additional support.  No problem the link doesn't work so back to the drawing board, nothing was answered, but I imagine I will get an additional 20 badges, and a new designation of master of Taxation MBDDSWTF.  

This is how my day has been, why do I constantly explain to these morons what the problem is, is management on spring break here in FL? 

Can you answer the following for me, since I just got thru with CSR/TT and again totally worthless.  Actually 25 minutes explaining and showing on Google View what a 1099 looks like, what my 1040 looks like and how the 8949 isnt populated although the final tally is on Schedule D.  

She sent me to a link that would elevate this matter and typically the link has errors and unuseable. 

1) Do you have to complete the file Online prior to download.

2) If you get the download, do you create a TXF file to download to your desktop or can you download the finished product to the desktop? 

3) Is there a charge to the Online Version ? 

4) Like you I am spending too much time on this , luckily I am a trader and Fidelity is only one of my accounts, no issues with the others. 

Any help would be most appreciated.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you are using Turbo Tax Online, you have to finish your taxes before you can download the entire return, however, you should be able to import 1099 before the tax return is finished. 

You can download it either way. 

Yes, there is a charge for the online version, the price depends on which version you choose. @mjpb52 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GLUA
Level 3

I was able to perform the process without an additional charge.

Start a return 

Under Wages and income, you need to add more and follow the prompts to import.

Under the Tool menu on the left, click on Tool.  That should open another menu where you can select download.

In the download version, click on this file and I think it will open the program.

@mjpb52 Assuming what you want to do is file using the desktop version of Turbo Tax, I don't think @CarissaM gave the right answers for your situation.

While my problem resolved weeks ago, I have still followed this issue closely.

You start a return online. Fill out the minimal amount of information it requires to get started, then import from Fidelity. There is no charge until you file, and you won't be filing at this time.

You then have it save your partially created return to your computer. (There is an option in the menus I guess on the left side, to do this. Others have described where it is.)

You then open that return in the desktop software, and continue normally from there.

I hope that helps.

Responding to several posts. This is regarding a 1099 importing workaround via an online return.

First, see my post from last Friday where I detailed the steps I did for importing first into the online version and then downloading into the desktop version. Other than my frustration with this situation and my initial error forgetting about password protection, it was fairly easy. The short version is: Create online return, answer some questions, import last years return from your desktop copy if desired, import 1099 from Fidelity, export online return to desktop (.tax file), open that file in desktop TT as a NEW return (no merging here, losing all prior work in the desktop version though can have both open at the same time to help re-enter into new return) and carry on. At some point, clear the online return.

I am using a Mac with TT Premier but I think it should be the same for Windows. Speaking of Windows, for those not bothering to read this entire discussion (you should), switching to Edge may work and avoid this workaround as posted by others and are also tips about multiple accounts or not even importing a 1099 at all. This is just what I tried.

I just checked and I have 2 8949 forms in my desktop version. Whether that is all I need I will have to look into. I'm not familiar with that form but at least it created some for me and hopefully all that I need. No ideas on why it may not work for some, except well, software quality again. Perhaps start over and try to import again if you haven't already?? Ugh.

@mjpb52 

1) No, if using the online version as a workaround as I did. Can stop online right after importing 1099 section was complete. See the steps I did. Obviously can go farther online than me if you choose.

2) Per my steps, it created a .tax2022 file just like it does as you go along unfinished with the desktop version.

3) CarissaM's answer is potentially misleading for this workaround. Per my prior post, you should only get charged when you file as stated on their website when you select a version to use (suggest using a version to match your desktop version, just in case). Since in this workaround you will file via desktop version and clear your online partial return and therefore never file it, you should not get charged. I can't imagine they would, but if they try and raising heck with them doesn't stop it, we could all call our State Attorneys General, call the press, try a class action lawsuit., etc 🙂 Obviously, if you decide to continue all the way and file with the online version, you will be charged. And then perhaps ask for a refund for the desktop version. Several ways to go here.

4) Way too much. Spent as much time just getting a 1099 import to work, including writing all of these posts, as doing my entire return would take in the past.

Hopefully this clears up some things. I'm almost done and it seems to have worked for me. Final checks to go. Good luck everyone trying this and thanks again to those who helped me with their posts. And good luck if you choose to wait for a software fix. TT response to this has been pathetic. But at least I'll probably get more badges for posting again. Woohoo.

edit: Changed "import that file into desktop TT" to "open that file in desktop TT" per tidf2 comment below. Misspoke.

steppy
Returning Member

The one thing I would add is that if you have your 2021 return, upload that and the file that you download after importing your Fidelity information will be pre-populated with your personal information. You'll also have other information brought forward, just like when you start on the desktop by importing last years return. This did save some time.

steppy

I used the same process that @tidf2 described.  You do not need to pay for TurboTax Premium Online in order to start a return and accomplish your Fidelity download / import.  Once you have done that import in the Online version (which I can confirm worked for 2,067 stock transactions), you then use the Tools menu on the left side to save a .tax file to your computer.  You then open that .tax file in TurboTax Desktop (I was able to do so in Deluxe, even tho I used Premium for my online work).

It will be interesting when I actually go to file from TT Desktop, if it remembers my use of the online software and attempts to charge me for it.  After all, I will be logged into my TT account for the payment part of the process.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CarissaM 

Is TurboTax aware of this? Was this issue raised with your IT team? What is the priority level? When can we expect this to be fixed? When is the next scheduled software update?

so far we are only given temporary fixes/workarounds… 

These are all good descriptions. I forgot about importing the prior year's return from your computer to the online version. That's an important time-saving step for people who filed using Turbo Tax last year.

I believe I would change one phrase in the process @scottx described, a phrase many people here have used.

After you download your .tax file from Online to your desktop, I'm pretty sure you do not "import" that return into the Desktop program. You simply "open" it.

Click the "Find a Tax File" link to browse to the tax file on your computer. Or, click "Open Tax Return" in the File menu.

The return will be in the folder you selected when you downloaded the file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies