Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbeau2230

Can I deduct the cost of new furniture for a vacation rental

The cost of the furniture is under 2500.  We rented 60 days last year and had personal use of approx 21 days.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may report this purchase as a Rental Expense for your Rental Property. Be sure to allocate the cost based on the time the property was available to be rented

For example, if the property was listed all year and you used it yourself for 21 days, the maximum number of rental days would be 366 minus 21 = 345. If you spent $2,500 on furniture, you would then report a rental expense of $2,356 ($2,500 x 345/366). The remaining amount is not deductible as a personal expense.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can I expense/deduct furnishings for my vacation rentals if I'm just using Schedule C, not Schedule E, and if so, in what category?  Each of my furnishings costs less than $2500. Since I do not need to do an allocation (my rentals are available all year and are 100% occupied by guests, not by me), do I have to itemize every furnishing, or can I just list them as one lump sum?

ksatesog

Does Turbotax automatically allocate the depreciation between personal and rental use? What if I am depreciating over 5 years and my personal and rental use changes each year?

maglib
Level 11

@christopherdwyer08  why are your reporting rentals on schedule C unless you spend over 750 hours on them?  the accounting won't be correct especially on the allowance for losses.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
ksatesog

Thanks but I am reporting it on Schedule E. Even though it has prorated things like maintenance, etc. it has not prorated the mortgage interest. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies