Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

De Minimus selection

I’ve selected the De Minimus Safe Harbor treatment for some assets. On the “How Do You Want to Deduct this Item” page, do I select “I’ll take the 100% special depreciation allowance”? There is no other selection for safe harbor treatment, only section 179. And there is no “Safe Harbor” heading on the “Your Property Assets” table so how do I know my asset is falling under the safe harbor? Is that what the “Special Depreciation” heading means? I’m confused.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

De Minimus selection

If you are electing the De Minimus Safe Harbor, you enter the affected assets $2,500 or less as expenses.  They will not show up on an asset listing.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

De Minimus selection

Thank you!

Carl
Level 15

De Minimus selection

@DavidD66 is confusing safe harbor, SEC179 and the Special Depreciation Allowance. Those are three physically separate and different things.

If this is for rental property, be aware that "residential" rental property does not qualify for the SEC 179 section.

The Special Depreciation Alowance allows you to completely depreciate a rental asset in the first year you place that asset in service. It only makes sense to do that, "IF" you have the taxable rental income to take that SDA against. It is "NOT" common for residential rental real estate to operate at a profit "on paper" at tax filing time. So while you can take the SDA, it more than likely will just get "carried forward" every year and not make any difference to your tax liability.

It "might" make a difference if you qualify to deduction up to $25K of your rental losses against "other" ordinary income. If you "materially participate" in the rental activity, then you "may" qualify for that.

The de-Minimus Safe Harbor allows you to expense certain assets that would otherwise be depreciated, "if" that asset qualifies. One of the many criteria for qualification is that the asset must have a cost basis of less than $2,500. For the other criteria, see https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tangible-property-final-regulations and scroll down to get to the safe harbor section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies