Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Re: Cost Basis of Rental Property

I recently sold an investment rental I had for 15 years. Now I need to determine its basis.

Having been faithful to do every tax return through TurboTax, starting each new return from the data file from the previous year, it has been my hope that TurboTax would manage these calculations.

If that is not the case, does that now mean I need to comb through 15 years of data to determine the basis?
If yes, any ways or processes to speed up the process?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Re: Cost Basis of Rental Property

If you have been depreciating the property in TurboTax, you can review those entries in the Asset Section under Rentals or print the complete Depreciation schedule from the Print Center.

The depreciation schedule and worksheets will provide the original asset balance as well as the accumulated depreciation.

The Depreciation and Amortization Report is included with the tax return when you download the return using Print Center and request all worksheets,

If you need to re-create the basis, it can l be calculated as the cost basis of the property plus improvements made to the property, less  allowable depreciation (whether or not it was taken.)  Rental property (less land) is depreciated for 27.5 years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies