Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cost basis and remainder value for raw land.

Two families each held an undivided share in 118 raw acres. The land was for sale, and an offer had been made for the entire parcel for $250,000, which would have been 125,000 gross for each family. I purchased one of the shares at a reduced price of 117,500 (that family wanted a fast closing). I cooperated with the other family to negotiate the sale of 106 acres: they received 125000.00 for their undivided half (59 acres) and I accepted 84,000.00 as my share in cash and retaining 12 acres for investment which the other family quitclaimed to me. I made two trips requiring airfare, hotel, etc...one trip before buying the property and one trip before selling it--each time an essential visit during which business was performed. I also paid for a survey to carve the 12 acre parcel out of the 118. How do I allocate the travel and survey expenses to the basis as a cost of purchase/sale? How do I determine the value of the 12 acres? Based on the 250,000, the 117,500, or can I place a higher value on it since it has a stream on it.  The county has placed a tax value on it at 40,000.  Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

you can't use any higher value for your basis than a % of what you paid for that piece of land. You can allot a % of your expenses to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

i would allocate your travel and lodging costs among the 59 acres you bought and so 47/59 of these + 47/59 of the purchase price would be allocated to the cost of sale

12/59 of costs + 12/59 of purchase price would be cost of land you still hold 

even though the 12 acres has a stream, doesn't mean it has a higher value per  acre than what you sold.   116 acres might be worth  $2,000+ per acre but 12 acres might only be worth $1,000 per.  

How will I document that percentage of basis... ie the 47/59? 

I was attempting to enter the total purchase price of 117,500 plus the closing costs on the Capital Gains worksheet, Part IV lines 4, a-d....

THEN,in part VII, Increases to basis 1d, I had listed a survey, and two trips to meet with attorneys as the increase to basis...had done 100%, but will change that to 47/59 based on the advice I've been given

And THEN, I multiplied the cost per acre at acquisition (should I add the closing costs before finding cost per acre) and multiplying the remaining 12 acres by that price per acre. 

The two answers I received are consistent  with each other....thanks (BTW, I had prepare a capitalizion letter for my previous tax returns in 2016 and 2017--is that necessary for 2018?)

Thank you.  I think I'm getting it... you see that I had a loss from this sale.  However, the tax appraisal and  probably FMV is higher than the 24,000 mol that the 12/59 calculation gives me.  I guess I'll take a loss this year and then have a gain in the future.... (when and if I sell!)  Thank you again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies