Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital loss offset

In 2016 I had a large capital loss from the sale of a stock. I was part of a civil suit against the O&Ds of the company related to the loss. We received a settlement. I got a 1099 on the proceeds from the settlement. Is there a way to offset the proceeds of the settlement from my capital loss since they are related? TurboTax does not seem to have any way to make a connection between the 2. Also, some of the funds on the 1099 is actually a reimbursement for some expenses I paid for the suit. Is there a way to deduct those expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Capital loss offset

No. A capital loss can only be counted against capital gains. Your settlement income is taxed as ordinary income. Which box of Form 1099-Misc is the income entered? Box 3 or Box 7?

@kristen20031

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Capital loss offset

No. A capital loss can only be counted against capital gains. Your settlement income is taxed as ordinary income. Which box of Form 1099-Misc is the income entered? Box 3 or Box 7?

@kristen20031

Capital loss offset

Box 3. Can I deduct the reimbursed expenses somehow?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Capital loss offset

Unfortunately, no. Legal fees are no longer deductible as of 1/1/2018 due to TCJA. 

To enter:

1. Click on Federal Taxes at the top of the screen.
  2. At the bottom of Your Income box pick the option in blue to help me add other income, then jump to full list;
  3. Scroll down the page to the last section titled: Less common Income and click show more;
  4. Select start or update next to the last topic titled Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C;
  5. Scroll down to the last option titled Other reportable income and select start or edit;
  6. When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes then type in a description and the amount to report it on your tax return.

This will place it on "Other Income" line of your Form 1040

Capital loss offset

Thank you for your help.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Capital loss offset

My pleasure. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies