turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital gains married filing separately

If a married couple has one person retired (low income) and one working (high income), and has a significant long term capital gain, can the person with the lower income claim 100% of the capital gain if filing separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

42 Replies
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

You and your spouse cannot just split your income and deductions up any way you want in order to maximize the MFS tax savings. Instead, state law determines how you must divide up your income and deductions.

If you file a federal tax return separately from your spouse and you live in a community property state, you must report half of all community income and all of your separate income. Generally, the laws of the state in which you are domiciled govern whether you have community property and community income or separate property and separate income for federal tax purposes.  Refer to https://www.irs.gov/publications/p555#en_US_201901_publink1000168769

Nine states have community property laws. Married couples in these states typically need Form 8958 if they file separate rather than joint tax returns:

• Arizona
  • California
  • Idaho
  • Louisiana
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • Texas
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

On Form 8958, a couple lists individual sources of income for each of them, such as employers, banks that pay interest, stocks that pay dividends, capital gains and tax refunds. The couple reports the total amount received from each source, then allocates a portion of the total to each person.

Form 8958 essentially reconciles the difference between what employers (and other income sources) have reported to the IRS and what the spouses will be reporting on their federal tax returns. Both spouses must include a copy of the form with their tax return.

In other states gains on assets that are jointly held can be allocated any way you like, but gains on assets held in one name only must be reported on the owner's tax return.

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**

Most times trying to play the MFJ vs MFS game you will lose and end up paying more not less in taxes ... BEFORE you file anything compare both options carefully then choose the best option for you both combined not separately ...

Married Filing Jointly is usually better, even if one spouse had little or no income. When you file a joint return, you and your spouse will get the married filing jointly standard deduction of $24,000 (+$1300 for each spouse 65 or older)  You are eligible for more credits including education credits, earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, and a larger income limit to receive the child tax credit.

If you choose to file married filing separately, both spouses have to file the same way—either you both itemize or you both use standard deduction. Your tax rate will be higher than on a joint return. Some of the special rules for filing separately include: you cannot get earned income credit, education credits, adoption credits, or deductions for student loan interestA higher percent of your Social Security benefits may be taxable. Your limit for SALT (state and local taxes and sales tax) will be only $5000 per spouse. In many cases you will not be able to take the child and dependent care credit. The amount you can contribute to a retirement account will be affected. If you live in a community property state, you will be required to provide additional information regarding your spouse’s income. ( Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI) If  you are using online TurboTax to prepare your returns, you will need to prepare two separate returns and pay twice.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-married-filing-jointly-vs-married-filing-separately

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901162-married-filing-separately-in-community-property-states

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

because of all the issues stated previously in this thread, married couples file joint 96% of the time.  It has to be a 'strange situation' (e.g. one spouse refuses to sign the tax return) that causes a married couple not to file "joint"

Hi, Critter thanks for the detail in your discussion.  I want to file SHH because my ex-spouse and I can't agree on how to split the joint return and I am willing to take a lower return (penalizing both of us) since ex-spouse is being unfair.  Is there a way for me to report only my half of the capital gains from the sale of our house when filing SHH?  I do not live in a community property state, I am in Colorado.  

did you receive a 1099-S form? 

you may want to read IRS publication 523 and especially the chart on worksheet on page 7 - your exclusion is $250,000. 

Yes I received the 1099-S and it has the full amount for the sale of the house.  I want to be able to report only my half of that amount.  For instance sold for 680K, I want to report 340K and let the ex-spouse report 340K.  If I report the full amount 680K then the 250k exemption is not enough.  

but the $250,000 is against the gain, not against the sales price.(but maybe that is your point)

what was the purchase price of the home originally? 

and wait--- you stated 'ex-spouse'.  what was your legal marital status on 12/31/19.  if you were legally divorced on that date, your filing status is 'single'. you can't file 'married - separate'.  that is just the way it is. (I assume you do not have any children in your custody which would otherwise turn the filing status into Head of Household)

just report everything in half . 

We were married until 1-22-2020 so we can legally file joint.  The gain after considering sale price and basis is 400k.  So if we file joint we are good to go because of the 500k exemption which we qualify for.  And the 250k is enough for me individually if there is a way for me to allocate only my half of the sale price/cost basis.  

yup; married - separate is the way to go since legally married on 12/31/19. 

just report half of the sales price and half the cost basis.  l  assume both your names were on the deed. 

Yes both names on the deed and we meet all the qualifications.  We can file married/joint which is the best way financially.  I also qualify for Single Head of Household.  I want to file Single Head of Household.  If I only report 50% of the amount on the 1099-s won't that cause and audit?  Everything is legit if there was an audit but if there is a separate form needed, I don't want to miss it.     

i can't say whether it will cause an audit or not.  and so if it causes an audit and you have the documentation, what is the issue? You'll just explain it; you are not the first person to have this situation that the IRS will see.  what is the alternative, as you don't want to report 100% of the transaction.  

there is no such status as 'single head of household'.   

Your only choices are going to be 'married-separate' or if you were legally separated for more than 6 months on 12/31/19 and you have dependents, then it is head of household. 

jerryrw

If a married couple has a large capital can we split it filing separately or put it in  the lower income individual tax form.  

you may find the tax liability is higher filing separate; the lower income spouse will hit the 15% and 20% capital gains tax bracket much quicker.  Also, you may find the value of the itemized deductions to be worth much less (both of you must either itemize or take standard deduction - you can't mix and match). 

who owned the assets that were sold? 

Hi, I am looking for an answer to jerryrw's question.  We have a unique situation.  We are still technically married but separated long enough to qualify as unmarried according to IRS rules, we lived apart and I pay maintenance.  My ex-spouse can file as head of household and I can file as single or possibly HOH (nevermind that last part).  I ran the taxes many ways.  We have capital gains from a joint account that are significant, since I make more I pay 15% on the capital gains, my ex-spouse makes less and qualifies for 0% tax on capital gains.  We would like to put all of the capital gains in her return, we live in Illinois, not a community property law state.  Is this permissible, to all the capital gains from a joint account to the person that has a lower tax rate?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies