Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099B for inherited stock

My wife inherited stock upon mother's death and we sold the stock. The 1099B we received only shows proceeds of sale.  How do we determine cost basis for show loss incurred, and where do we enter it on TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

The basis of property inherited from a decedent is generally one of the following:

• The fair market value (FMV) of the property on the date of the decedent's death (whether or not the executor of the estate files an estate tax return).
  • The FMV of the property on the alternate valuation date, but only if the executor of the estate files an estate tax return (Form 706) and elects to use the alternate valuation on that return. (IRS)

Please see Where do I enter a 1099-B? for instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How was the stock "inherited"? Was it a TOD account, joint account, et al.?

Regardless, your cost basis would be the fair market value on the date of death of your wife's mother, computed as the high plus the low on the date of death divided by two (e.g., 30 high plus 28 low = 58 divided by 2 = 29).

You would enter the sale in TurboTax in the Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, Other subsection of the Investment Income section.

It was TOD account

Then just calculate the basis as set forth above and enter the transaction in the program. 

Make sure you indicate that the stock was acquired from a decedent (or inherited), since the holding period is long-term.

Earniep,

The website https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/quotes/historical  may be useful for you in looking up historical stock prices assuming your mother-in-law's death occurred within the past 10 years.

I don't see anywhere to indicate it was inherited stock.  

You should be able to type "inherited" into the date acquired field.

for date acquired type in "inherited". no "". this is because the sale of property inherited is long term no matter how long you actually held the property. 

Thanks for the help.  You answered all my questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies