Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Julielew
Returning Member

Question on sale of rental property with 50% ownership

Hello!  I own 50% of a rental property that was sold in 2023.  For inputting expenses, I show 50% ownership of the property.  Does this ownership percentage not transfer over when inputting the sale information for the asset?  I only have 1 asset for the property.  It automatically calculates basis and depreciation; is this for the entire property or just my 50%?  Do I need to enter property sale amount and sale expenses as 50%?  I know for ordinary rent and other expenses Turbotax will calculate these based on my ownership expenses, so I put in the full amounts.  My tax liability changed singnificantly when I just reduced the sales price to half so wondering if I also need to adjust basis and depreciation.  Appreciate any help you can provide!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Enter only your portion of the sales proceeds, selling expenses, cost basis and depreciation. TurboTax does not apply your ownership percentages when entering sales information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Julielew
Returning Member

Thank you!  Is the depreciation over the years figured on only my half of the dwelling as well or do I need to manually calculate?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Depreciation is based on the original cost of the property. For this reason, enter only your portion of the purchase cost for depreciation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies