Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Property Sale (1 year was room rental out of 3 years)

I bought a house June 2020. I rented a room for a year. I sold the house June 2023. Made a profit -- Is this capital gain? How to report? Did not receive 1099 S although I did answer that I had the house as partial rental. I did live in the house for those 3 years. I did report the rental as income. Help.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Property Sale (1 year was room rental out of 3 years)

The TurboTax program can do that calculation although you will need to enter the amount of depreciation you claimed while the room was rented.

If you rented it half of 2020 and half of 2021, you'll need to look at Schedule E  and Form 4562 from your 2021 tax year return. 

The tax year 2021 Form 4562 will list your 2020 depreciation and tax year 2021 Schedule E will show what you claimed in depreciation for 2021. Add them together for the total depreciation claimed. 

Enter the sale for 2023. Be sure to enter the dates correctly and number of days you rented out the room. 

Although you also lived there, those days are disqualifying. 

If you owned the house three years and rented a room one year, the exclusion would apply up  to 2/3 the gain (within the 250,000 single/500,000 Married Filing Jointly limit) 

You should need to claim all the depreciation and one-third the gain as taxable income.

Exclusion to gain 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies