Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NYANIK

Primary Residence Converted to Rental mid year

We converted our primary residence (townhome) to a rental property in the middle of 2023 and grabbed a new primary residence.  In the Income Section of our tax return, I've entered the requested information (mortgage interest, maintenance costs, etc. and the number of days the house was rented out of the year).  My question is, do I also enter the mortgage interest for the townhome also in the deduction section as well?  If not, how does Turbo Tax get me the interest deduction for the 6 months we lived in the townhome before we converted it to a rental?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
maglib
Level 11

@NYANIK   when you went through the rental interview it asked if you wanted to enter actual or allow the program to do the expense allocation.   These are numbers you should have entered:

Days of Personal Use -  ZERO. Read the screen. It is number of days after it was converted to rental, not before.

Business Use Percentage. 100%.

Number of days Rented - count for this starts from the first day a rental was "in service" date or after if you were asked for that. Vacant periods between renters do not count for actual days rented. Please see IRS Publication927 page 17 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf#en_US_2020_publink1000219175 Read the “Example” in the third column.

I normally just enter only related to the rental there and NOT the totals as not everything should be allocated based on number of days.

So you do need to enter it in both parts but only the % that was personal and do not allow the program to allocate for you.

Helpful information 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/rental-property/real-estate-tax-and-rental-property/L3e09vT71

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
Carl
Level 15

From what I've deduced, vacant periods of any time after the property is placed in service, as well as vacant periods between renters do not count against you. The only thing that counts against you is days of personal use "after" the property is converted to a rental.
But there's one thing I've also noticed. For those that place a rental in service close to the end of the tax year, say the last week of december for example, and don't actually get it rented out until the next year, the program will not accept zero days rented. You have to enter at least 1 day rented for it to work. In this scenario, reporting $0 income for the year is not an issue, assuming the first month's rent was not paid until after the end of the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies