Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Personal Royalty income not being offset by LLC rental loss

On my Schedule E, Part 1, I have income on line 24 from royalties (mineral rights I own on several properties).  On line 32 of Part 2, of Sch. E, I am showing $0 because Form 8582 says I have no passive losses allowed.  I actually had large losses under the LLC I own with two partners that has a rental property.  However, Form 8582 eliminates these large losses because my income is greater than $150k.

Shouldn't I be able to offset my royalty income with my real estate loss even though the former is personally owned and the latter is from an LLC?  If I personally owned the rental property, it seems clear that the two would offset in Part 1 of Schedule E.  If I can offset these two between person and LLC, how do I do it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Per the IRS, net income or loss from royalty and lease payments of natural resources is not considered passive income. rental losses are. so one can not offset the other

Thanks!  That is very helpful.  Since the royalties were showing up on Schedule E, I assumed they were considered passive income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies