Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aldhan
Returning Member

Personal Car for landlord and business

Hi, my wife is self employed and she using personal car for her business, we also have rental property and use to make trips there about 15/20 times a year which is 3 miles one way. TurboTax ask me if I use personal vehicle for both and I selected yes and I chose standard deduction for both as I don't keep track of milage. Now it looks like I got standard deduction 2 times for one personal vehicle and I am not sure if its right way to do it. Whats the best way to do it? 
Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would have two deductions for the same vehicle. If you entered the same vehicle and the same total business miles in your self employment activity and again in the rental activity then you would have two separate deductions using the standard mileage rate.  Be sure you entered only the business miles in the self employment section and then only the rental mileage in the rental activity.  Based on your question it appears you are using the standard mileage rate and that's a good way to do it.

The following information will be very important if you ever trade (considered a sale for income tax purposes) or sell out right this vehicle. At that time you will have a taxable event due to the allowable deductions on your tax return.

1. The way to know the business versus personal use of a vehicle is the mileage, i.e., business miles divided by total miles.  The IRS important questions about vehicles is 'Do you have evidence?' and 'Is it written?'
  2. A mileage log is very important when it comes to taking deductions for a vehicle for business and for rental activity. You can 'back track' to create a written record so that you have it.  It can be as simple as writing the business or rental miles on a calendar and then your oil changes or other repair will help you figure out the total miles on your vehicle for the year.  You can also include the beginning and ending odometer on your business calendar.

Please update here if you need further assistance and one of our tax experts will help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would have two deductions for the same vehicle. If you entered the same vehicle and the same total business miles in your self employment activity and again in the rental activity then you would have two separate deductions using the standard mileage rate.  Be sure you entered only the business miles in the self employment section and then only the rental mileage in the rental activity.  Based on your question it appears you are using the standard mileage rate and that's a good way to do it.

The following information will be very important if you ever trade (considered a sale for income tax purposes) or sell out right this vehicle. At that time you will have a taxable event due to the allowable deductions on your tax return.

1. The way to know the business versus personal use of a vehicle is the mileage, i.e., business miles divided by total miles.  The IRS important questions about vehicles is 'Do you have evidence?' and 'Is it written?'
  2. A mileage log is very important when it comes to taking deductions for a vehicle for business and for rental activity. You can 'back track' to create a written record so that you have it.  It can be as simple as writing the business or rental miles on a calendar and then your oil changes or other repair will help you figure out the total miles on your vehicle for the year.  You can also include the beginning and ending odometer on your business calendar.

Please update here if you need further assistance and one of our tax experts will help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aldhan
Returning Member

Thanks for the quick response, I get confuse when I got over 6k standard deduction for self-employed and around 2.5k standard deduction for rental vs when I manually added rental milage about 100 miles which got me very little deduction as I don't have all expenses for repairs and gas

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies