Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cadams1696
Returning Member

Pennsylvania Gas inherited gas rights royalties How do I depreciate it. When I did my Federal return it automatically did a depletion deduction what was that

I am using turbo tax to file my federal and a non- resident state tax form for Pennsylvania for the gas royalties I which I inherited in in 2023.  How do I figure depreciation for Pennsylvania?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Pennsylvania Gas inherited gas rights royalties How do I depreciate it. When I did my Federal return it automatically did a depletion deduction what was that

It depends.  In Pennsylvania (PA) you are allowed a depletion amount, same as federal, until you have recovered your cost basis in the royalty property.  For you the cost basis begins at inheritance and is the fair market value (FMV) of the property on the date of death of the original owner.

When you go through the PA return there will be a place to enter your allowable depletion amount. Watch the screens carefully when you come to the royalty income section. You will need to track this depletion each year and subtract it from your cost basis until you have recovered the cost.  When you reach zero, you will no longer be allowed to take depletion on the PA return.

See the image below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  In Pennsylvania (PA) you are allowed a depletion amount, same as federal, until you have recovered your cost basis in the royalty property.  For you the cost basis begins at inheritance and is the fair market value (FMV) of the property on the date of death of the original owner.

When you go through the PA return there will be a place to enter your allowable depletion amount. Watch the screens carefully when you come to the royalty income section. You will need to track this depletion each year and subtract it from your cost basis until you have recovered the cost.  When you reach zero, you will no longer be allowed to take depletion on the PA return.

See the image below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

If it helps to clarify:

There is no "depreciation" on royalty income from gas/mineral rights. Instead of depreciation, you take "depletion". It appears the program has done that already. So you're fine if so.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies