Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amymommy3

Passive loss carryover

I am trying to determine my passive loss carryover for a rental prop using last years return. I have a Sch E loss on 8582 line 7 AND  on 8995 I have QBI loss carryforward. Do I enter them BOTH? It would seem since it is asking specifically about this one rental, that I should enter it as a regular tax carryover,  and it will ask for QBI carryover later?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Passive loss carryover

yes PAL and QBI carryovers are separate items. Quite often there the same amount. 

if you used Turbotax in the prior year rolling the prior year return to the curret year should also roll those c/o's

if not, you can find PAL c/o on for 8582 section VII or VIII

if you only have one passive activity it this should be the same as 8582 loss on page 1 line 3 less the allowed loss, if any, on line 11 from the prior year

QBI c/o form 8995 line 16 of prior year form and yes Turbotax will ask about them.

there may also be a question about PAL AMT c/o which would come from the prior year 8582 for AMT (alternative minimum tax)

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Passive loss carryover

I'm going to page Champ @Mike9241 for this. Please check back.

Passive loss carryover

yes PAL and QBI carryovers are separate items. Quite often there the same amount. 

if you used Turbotax in the prior year rolling the prior year return to the curret year should also roll those c/o's

if not, you can find PAL c/o on for 8582 section VII or VIII

if you only have one passive activity it this should be the same as 8582 loss on page 1 line 3 less the allowed loss, if any, on line 11 from the prior year

QBI c/o form 8995 line 16 of prior year form and yes Turbotax will ask about them.

there may also be a question about PAL AMT c/o which would come from the prior year 8582 for AMT (alternative minimum tax)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies