turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TedDaly
Returning Member

Partnership Form 1065 With Losses

I received a K-1 from the LLP I am a partner of.  The K-1 reports a net income loss.  Once I enter the K-1 into Turbotax,  the loss does not get reported on a Schedule E or my 1040.  I'm looking for advice on getting the losses reported on my return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

as a limited partner, the loss is passive, which means you get no current deduction.    look at form 8582.

TedDaly
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if it makes any difference but I’m a general partner and not a limited partner. If you have any insight on that difference it would be greatly appreciated 

A couple of comments:

• I can't speak for all states, but in most states, an LLP is a type of general partnership.
  • I would assume that on your K-1 box G is checked as general partner or LLC member-manager
  • I believe when you went through the question and answer for inputting your K-1 information you indicated this was a limited partnership and you were a limited partner.  You should change that response to general partnership and general partner.
  • There is also most likely a question asking if you are "at-risk" for the loss.  I am assuming you are and you should respond "yes" to that question.
  • I also assume that you are maintaining a tax basis schedule of your investment in the LLP.  This is key in determining if losses are allowable, impact of distributions and the overall gain or loss upon disposition.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
TedDaly
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply Mark.  

• I live in Minnesota and it is a general partnership
  • The K-1 is marked as a general partnership
  • In Turbotax, I have marked that I am a general partner and it is a general partnership
  • I marked "yes" that I am at risk for the loss. 
  • I will double-check to make sure that I have a tax basis schedule properly filled out.  

Follow-up question, Are there other limitations (like income level) that may be affecting whether the losses are allowable?

Follow up response:

• The only other item that may be limiting the loss is if you have indicated that you are not a material participant
  • If you are a general partner, are at-risk, and are a material participant, then TT should not be limiting any loss and income level would not impact the loss limitation based on your facts.
  • Just check the wording on the "at-risk" question to make sure it is answered correctly.
  • You don't indicate what method of TT you are using.  If downloading the software, just make sure you have the latest version.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
TedDaly
Returning Member

Once again, thank you for the information.  I think you have it narrowed down for my situation.  I am not a material participant.  The LLP I am a partner of owns farmland and rents it out to a separate business that I am not involved in.  So the income comes from rent.  This past year the loss came from depreciation of improvements in the land (drainage tile).

I'm assuming for my case that I can't use the losses this years return, but will be able to use them to offset any income in future years.  Are my assumptions correct?

TedDaly
Returning Member

I also forgot to mention that I'm using a desktop version of TT deluxe, and I check for updates to the software every time I launch the software.  

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Yes, your assumption is now correct.  You are reporting Passive Activity Losses and they can only be used to offset Passive Activity Income.  You will have a PAL carryforward this year that will offset future income when your K-1 reports net income rather than loss.

@TedDaly

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies