Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Partial deductions from a tenant's Security Depost and effect on balance sheet

I had two tenants leave last year and I deducted a small part of their original security deposit for expenses and damages they caused. I have not reported that deduction as Income as of yet. Since I am now doing that return I could do so if I am supposed to.  But my question is, if I don't do something about that deduction, will that effect my Balance Sheet? My beginning Security Deposits and Ending Security Deposits have changed with two new tenants. I just listed the new deposits being held at end of year on my balance sheet which is more than it was at the beginning of year due due to rent increases. My balance sheet is off and I don't know if it could be because of the deposit issue as I have checked all of my figures but may have overlooked something somewhere else.

Thanks

Rae

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Partial deductions from a tenant's Security Depost and effect on balance sheet

In your accounting records, you should have booked Security Deposit Income (a credit) and reduced Security Deposits Payable (a debit). If you had other transactions that affected your balance sheet, you may need to research this further.

This is a TurboTax support forum. You may wish to re-post your question to the QuickBooks support forum here: https://community.intuit.com/quickbooks-online.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies