Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Partial conversion of rental to personal use?

My wife and I have been renting a house with an ADU. Midway through 2023, we converted the ADU to personal use -- not our primary residence, but a second home. We are continuing to rent the main house to tenants. Can anyone suggest how to report this using TurboTax Premier?

In hindsight, it might have been simpler if we had treated the main house and ADU as separate properties, but in fact they are a single tax parcel, and we reported them as a single property in 2022.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There is no need to amend 2022, but just split the two homes on your 2023 tax return.  Then on the ADU rental, you can say it was converted to personal use.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

You may consider amending your 2022 return to report the original home/ADU as two properties. The issue now is that you started depreciation on the entire property and cannot easily change that. It doesn't matter that they are both on the same tax parcel. As long as you can allocate the basis, income, and expenses between the two units, you will be in a better position to report the conversion on the current year tax return.

Your other option is to report that the original property is not used 100% as a rental this year. The new business use percentage would be calculated based on square footage of the house divided by the total square footage. 

1. Enter this percentage for the Rental Asset (Depreciation) on the page "Tell us more about this rental asset."
  2. Check the box for "No, I have not always used this item 100% of the time for this business" and for "I first used this item at least part of the time for this business, and also used it for personal purposes." 
  3. Enter the new business use percentage in the box "Percentage of time I used this item for business after placed into service in 20XX" (this year).

If you rent the ADU in the future, add this as a separate Rental Property. Depreciation will begin as of that date because you have already reported depreciation on the unit with the residence in the past. Hopefully, you won't sell the ADU separate from the residence, as this would greatly complicate calculating the gain or loss on the sale.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, Patricia -- that's helpful. But I'm still a bit puzzled. Is this situation any different than a duplex or multi-unit apartment building, if we converted one unit to personal use? It would seem odd to report each unit in an apartment building as a separate property, and it seems a little odd in this case too. Because of zoning, we couldn't sell the house and ADU separately even if we wanted to.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, your situation is no different than a duplex, etc. Bottom line is that you cannot depreciate personal use property ever. It's easy to separate the properties as suggest by @PatriciaV. Reporting two separate units is not uncommon or unusual in your situation and it helps to keep the records clear.

You can amend or simply remove the personal use ADU portion for 2023.  Whichever you decide, all the records of depreciation for a future sale.

The tax assessment records would not be a factor in tax law other than to help you with the value of buildings and land, to arrive at the percentage that applies to each.

@Minnesota Slim 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There is no need to amend 2022, but just split the two homes on your 2023 tax return.  Then on the ADU rental, you can say it was converted to personal use.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies