Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Own rental property in MI with zero income. Do I need to file non-resident return for MI?

I am a CA resident, and I bought a rental property in MI late 2023. The rental property didn't generate any income until Jan 2024. Do I need to file non-resident return for MI?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Own rental property in MI with zero income. Do I need to file non-resident return for MI?

No.  Generally, you’ll need to file a nonresident state return if you made money from sources in a state you don’t live in.   Some examples are:

• Wages or income you earned while working in that state
  • Out-of-state rental income, gambling winnings, or profits from property sales
  • S corporation or partnership income
  • Beneficiary income from a trust or estate
  • For active duty military: non-military income earned outside your state of legal residence
  • If your employer withheld taxes for the wrong state
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

No.  Generally, you’ll need to file a nonresident state return if you made money from sources in a state you don’t live in.   Some examples are:

• Wages or income you earned while working in that state
  • Out-of-state rental income, gambling winnings, or profits from property sales
  • S corporation or partnership income
  • Beneficiary income from a trust or estate
  • For active duty military: non-military income earned outside your state of legal residence
  • If your employer withheld taxes for the wrong state

The property didn't generate any income in 2023. But it did have some expenses, such as property tax, HOA, some repair work. I assuming if I file non-resident return for MI, the net loss from this property will be carryover to 2024. But I am not sure if I don't file, the net loss will be carryover?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should file a Michigan tax return for 2023. The filing requirements for Michigan (MI) are as follows:

• You must file a Michigan return if you file a federal return or your income exceeds your Michigan exemption allowance. A return must be filed even if you do not owe Michigan tax.

• MI goes on to say: File a return if you owe tax, are due a refund, or your AGI exceeds your exemption allowance. You should also file a Michigan return if you file a federal return, even if you do not owe Michigan tax. This will eliminate unnecessary correspondence from Treasury. 
  • @Jay147 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies