Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Our rental home was heavily damaged by fire in 2020. The insurance company has been covering lost rent. How do I account for this in Turbotax? The house is inhabitable

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Our rental home was heavily damaged by fire in 2020. The insurance company has been covering lost rent. How do I account for this in Turbotax? The house is inhabitable

The money you receive from the insurance company for rent would be reported as rent income. You would deduct the rental expenses you normally would, such as utilities and repairs, property taxes, mortgage interest, etc...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The money you receive from the insurance company for rent would be reported as rent income. You would deduct the rental expenses you normally would, such as utilities and repairs, property taxes, mortgage interest, etc...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Typically, all income received for rental property from any source for any reason is treated as rental income and reported in the rental income section. This would include insurance payouts. How you deal with the situation after that, depends on your intentions of what you will do with that payout. Rebuild? Abandon? Sell "as is", or something else?

I'd also like to know if the structure was considered a "total loss" by the insurance company, as that can open up other options for how you treat the insurance payout.

To take note that in general, a rental dwelling insurance policy includes in it's coverage's anywhere from 6 to 12 months of "lost rents", usually maxed out at 85% of whatever the contracted rent was you were collecting prior to that. Therefore, the property remains "in service" because the insurance company is "in fact" paying you rent for the property for whatever period of time the "loss of rent" clause in your policy may cover.

cestmoijay
Returning Member

I had a fire in Oct 2021 in my rental property.  Insurance company paid out total renovation cost + Loss of Use of 12 months in Dec 2021.

How did you treat the rental income?  Did you pro-rate in 2020 and then some in 2021 (i am assuming the covering of lost rent also went over to following year?  Or did it?  Did you get a 1099-MSC from your insurance company if so? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies