Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Oppertunity zone capital gains credit does TT allow me to defer gains for OZ investments?

I can't believe that TurboTax actually responded that you need form 8996, that is simply not true. Lol

Oppertunity zone capital gains credit does TT allow me to defer gains for OZ investments?

You are correct, just need to fill  in 8949 column a, b,  then adjustment code Z in column f and (-) deferral amount in g, then capital gain deferral will flow to Schedule A as negative capital gain subtracted from total capital gain received in 2018 that you invested in QOF within the 180 day limit. Do need to file Extension if K1 not available from QOF to send to IRS to match your QOF election.  At  least filling 8949 form will give you the calculated capital gain deferral so you know what is your tax liability to pay by 4/2019 even  with file extension. csc

I have called in three times on this issue. The TT first-line people are totally ignorant of it. I had it escalated and was (eventually) told that it would be supported by February 19 (10 days ago, now). I'm using th online version and don't know if I can override Form 8949.
alway34

Using code Z on form 8949 only works for capital gains from an investment account right?  I cannot use that for capital gains from a K-1, right?  I think I need to find a CPA, Turbo Tax doesn't seem to have a good way to defer my capital gains...

Turbotax shows no support (so far) of opportunity zone capital gains deferral. Here is the workaround I applied:

1.       If you are using the online version, save your work as a file. Get a refund and buy the downloaded version. I found Amazon far less expensive than buying direct from Turbotax.

2.       Install Turbotax and load the saved file.

3.       Switch to Forms View.

4.       On Form 8949, find each capital gain entry that corresponds to a gain you wish to defer. Note that the gains may have been reported on the 8849 as the sum of a few sales for each day.

5.       You will change 3 entries for each gain. To do so, right-click the corresponding box and select “override”.

6.       Enter “Z” in box “f” (corrected from "W")

7.       Copy the amount in box “h” as a negative number into box “g”.

8.       Make box “h” zero.

9.       Do this for both the long-term and short-term section of each Form 8949.

10.   File by mail, as taxes with overrides cannot be filed online.

That is likely incorrect as it does not match the IRS instructions provided on <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8949.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8949.pdf</a>. Code "Z" should be used and not code "W". Read the full details in the paragraph titled "How To Report an Election To Defer Tax on Eligible Gain Invested in a QO Fund" (page 10).

Code "Z" is correct. My use of code "W" was a typo. I will attempt to correct the post.

Thanks for posting, I had not yet noticed that it was now possible to override the codes. This seemed to be a problem in earlier versions.
alway34

Thank you hpadden for you post.  Do you know if I can do this with capital gains from a K-1, or does it only work with investment accounts?

You don't update the original transaction/gain that you wish to defer, you need to follow IRS instructions for form 8949 for QOF deferral. As you are entering new transactions for the deferral , it doesn't matter where the original capital gain transaction is recorded. I have not tried it, but if the override process described here works, than you can use it to override the adjustment code after you enter the correct details with some dummy code that you will override to the correct code of Z.

Yes that works for me too. However following this method in TurboTax also triggered a significant AMT tax for me. Do you know what the AMT rules are for QOF deferrals, and if TurboTax implements them?

For reference, here are excerpts from IRS publications relevant to OZ deferrals. IRS uses the term "eligible gain", but I have not been able to find a definition of what is eligible. I cannot give tax advise, but I would personally interpret this as anything which appears on my Form 8949.

From IRS:

"Use Form 8949 to report the sale or exchange of a capital asset (defined later) not reported on another form or schedule and to report the income deferral or exclusion of capital gains. See the Instructions for Form 8949."

On 8949, it's buried in 1(f) and 1(g):

"1 (a) Description of property (Example: 100 sh. XYZ Co.) (b) Date acquired (Mo., day, yr.) (c) Date sold or disposed of (Mo., day, yr.) (d) Proceeds (sales price) (see instructions) (e) Cost or other basis. See the Note below and see Column (e) in the separate instructions Adjustment, if any, to gain or loss. If you enter an amount in column (g), enter a code in column (f). See the separate instructions. (f) Code(s) from instructions (g) Amount of adjustment (h) Gain or (loss). Subtract column (e) from column (d) and combine the result with column (g) "

Then, per the 8949 instructions, you use code Z:

You are electing to postpone all or part of your gain under the rules explained in the Schedule D instructions for investments in QO Fund(s)
Z
See How To Report an Election To Defer Tax on Eligible Gain Invested in a QO Fund, later.
And,How To Report an Election To Defer Tax on Eligible Gain Invested in a QO Fund
If you elect to defer tax on an eligible gain by investing in a QO Fund, report the eligible gain on the form and in the manner otherwise instructed. For example, individual taxpayers would report gain from the sale of stock on Form 8949 and Schedule D (Form 1040). If the gain is reported on Form 8949, do not make any adjustments for the deferral in column (g).
Report the deferral of the eligible gain on its own row of Form 8949 in Part I with box C checked or Part II with box F checked (depending on whether the gain being deferred is short-term or long-term). If you made multiple investments in different QO Funds or in the same QO Fund on different dates, use a separate row for each investment. If you invested eligible gains of the same character (but from different transactions) on the same date into the same QO Fund, you can group those investments on the same row. In column (a), enter only the EIN of the QO Fund into which you invested. In column (b), enter the date you invested in the QO Fund. Leave columns (c), (d), and (e) blank. Enter code "Z" in column (f) and the amount of the deferred gain as a negative number (in parentheses) in column (g).
Your investment in a QO Fund can be used to defer only long-term gain, only short-term gain, or a combination of both short-term and long-term gain. You do not need to trace or allocate the funds invested in a QO Fund to the specific gain being deferred, but the investment in the QO Fund must have occurred within the 180-day period beginning on the date the deferred gain was realized. If you realized both short-term and long-term gains during the 180-day period you can choose how much of each gain to defer by reporting the deferral in Part I or Part II, as applicable. The character of the eligible gain will survive the investment in the QO Fund. When you recognize the eligible gain (either when you sell or exchange your investment in the QO Fund or December 31, 2026, whichever is earlier), the gain you recognize will be the same character as the gain you deferred.

What about AMT?

Did you do a program update lately ?   And did have you run thru the sale to be differed again ?  Look for these screens ...

What screens?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies