Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

One investment account has joint ownership how do I show it?

I have a joint investment account with a friend, how do I indicate ity?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Which one of you is reporting the investments on the return? You or your friend?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

whose SSN is on the 1099.   if it's yours you may have issues trying to split the income in TT.  if you don't report the full amounts per the 1099's (say you are entitled to half so you report only half) you are going to get a notice from the IRS due to 1040/1099 mismatch.     on the other hand, if the other person's ssn is on the 1099. you have it easy.  just report your share of each item.  for schedule D all items will be either type C or F since they weren't reported under your ID number.  

The term “partnership” includes a limited partnership, syndicate, group, pool, joint venture, or other unincorporated organization, through or by which any business, financial operation, or venture is carried on, that isn't, within the meaning of regulations under section 7701, a corporation, trust, estate, or sole proprietorship.

I.R.C. § 7701(a)(2) Partnership And Partner — The term “partnership” includes a syndicate, group, pool, joint venture, or other unincorporated organization, through or by means of which any business, financial operation, or venture is carried on, and which is not, within the meaning of this title, a trust or estate or a corporation; and the term “partner” includes a member in such a syndicate, group, pool, joint venture, or organization.

if the IRS deems you a partnership you face substantial penalties for failure to file timely return (with 2 partners about $400/mo from 3/15/2020 the returns due date).   you should consult with a tax professional 
A joint undertaking merely

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies