Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Oil and Gas Royalties: A Misleading Check Box Statement Requires Correction

Entering Oil and Gas Royalties in Turbo Tax has always been difficult. And it certainly did not help this year when a misleading statement causes us hours of work.

Here is the situation:

+++If you have a 1099-MISC you will input your Oil and Royalty information in two places. The first place is under the 1099-MISC section (see Figure 1). As shown in Figure 2 I had two 1099-MISCs so I had two line items. However this is not where you list your Oil and Gas Royalty expenses. So far so good.

+++Eventually you will get to the Rental Property and Royalties section (See Figure 3). You will enter the royalty property specifics in this section (see Figure 4). I had a total of four line items, but I only received 1099-MISCs for two of them (that is, the same two where I entered the two 1099-MISC line items in Figure 2.

+++ So as I was inputting my four line items in Figure 4  I encountered a check box (see Figure 5). This is where the problem comes in. (Bad!)

+++The Figure 5 check box statement says that two things have to be true: (1) The royalty income is from a 1099-MISC AND, (2) the 1099-MISC ALSO has federal or state withholding. In my case I did receive the 1099-MISC for two of the line items in Figure 4, BUT the 1099-MISCs did NOT have any federal/state tax withholding.

+++So given this, I did not mark the check box since half the check box statement was not true in my case. As I discovered this check box is what links the info from each 1099-MISC in Figure 2 to the line items in Figure 4.

+++The check box statement SHOULD be corrected to read:  “This income is reported on a 1099-MISC, and the 1099-MISC may or may not have federal or state tax withholding”.

+++ REQUEST THAT TURBO TAX CORRECT THIS MISLEADING STATEMENT.

+++In my case since I did not check the box for two of the four line items in Figure 4 (i.e., the two I had received 1099-MISC for in Figure 2), Turbo Tax generated two EXTRA Royalty income line items. These appeared in Figure 4 for a total of six line items, but I have already deleted them in figuring out a solution. These two extra line items in Figure 4 doubled the income from the two 1099-MISCs; which is wrong.

Check Box Issue Fig 1 - 5.jpg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies