Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Occupancy tax to charge or not

If I rent a room in my home , that I use as a personal residence, only to a relative (child etc) for short stays (less than 7 days each) when he/she is on business in town, multiple times a year and I don't rent the room to anyone else otherwise whatsoever, and I get paid a fair market rent, do I need to collect and pay the state the occupancy tax and sales tax? I do not advertise the home for rent anywhere and don't provide any significant services otherwise. The state I am in has a law for hotels and short term rentals under 30 consecutive days to collect the above taxes. Does the relative (child) usage of my room excludes the need for collecting and paying these taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You need to check with your state's taxing authority (and county) to see if there is an exemption for relatives.

In Florida, there is an exemption for full-time students and military personnel but not for relatives who pay rental value on a short-term basis.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You need to check with your state's taxing authority (and county) to see if there is an exemption for relatives.

In Florida, there is an exemption for full-time students and military personnel but not for relatives who pay rental value on a short-term basis.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies