Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NY State Non-resident estimated tax form IT-2663

When completing my IT-2663 (in April 2023) for a residential rental property I sold...I checked that the transaction would be an installment method.   Doing my taxes it seems I have enough capital gains loss to cover the gain so I thought it is better to just claim the entire gain.   

1.  Should I ?    Is there something I should be aware of.

2. Can I? since I indicated on the form it would be an installment sale 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can change your mind and choose to report the full gain in the year of sale.  All gain would be included in the year of sale for any part of depreciation that was used, no special installment sale treatment for that portion of the gain.  Also, if you see that it works out well now, then I would not consider the installment sale.

If you need to delete a form you can use the link below based on your version of TurboTax.

You'll need to delete this form --------------------. 

• If you're using TurboTax Online software and need to delete a form, click here.
  • If you're using TurboTax CD\Download software and need to delete a form, click here
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can change your mind and choose to report the full gain in the year of sale.  All gain would be included in the year of sale for any part of depreciation that was used, no special installment sale treatment for that portion of the gain.  Also, if you see that it works out well now, then I would not consider the installment sale.

If you need to delete a form you can use the link below based on your version of TurboTax.

You'll need to delete this form --------------------. 

• If you're using TurboTax Online software and need to delete a form, click here.
  • If you're using TurboTax CD\Download software and need to delete a form, click here
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies