Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nondividend distributions question

When attempting to file my taxes, my 1099-Div has $4.45 in Box 3. I'm getting a note that this is a nontaxable return of cost and reduce my cost or other basis by that amount. Is this something that I'm required to do on a federal/state level as part of my return. I don't want to submit my returns if I am required to make some sort of change or adjustment. I don't want to get in trouble, especially for such a small amount.  I only have a few stocks and my total dividends are less than 10 bucks and then nondividend distribution is less than 5, so it's such a small amount, but I don't want to get flagged by IRS for incorrect filing. Any advise on what I need to do? Thanks so much!! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You should enter the Form 1099-DIV just as it is printed.  It will not send up any red flags.  Your broker dealer will make any cost adjustments that are necessary.  You do not need to make any changes or adjustments.  Just enter the form, file your return, and don't be concerned in the least about red flags or incorrect filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Don’t worry. Just complete the form as it is. You don’t have to do anything. Your financial institution should take cae of any adjustment and if they didn’t no significant tax liability would accrue in any case. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You should enter the Form 1099-DIV just as it is printed.  It will not send up any red flags.  Your broker dealer will make any cost adjustments that are necessary.  You do not need to make any changes or adjustments.  Just enter the form, file your return, and don't be concerned in the least about red flags or incorrect filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much ! That’s a relief !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies