Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

apandey1

Noncovered security, 1099-B from a escrow release, Turbo Tax giving errors

Hi, I am a TT use for 14 years now but probably posting a question for the first time. I received a 1099-B form from a broker which is not being handled well in TT. Here are the details.

1.) In June 2020, I exercised the vested stock options of a company after quitting. Paid 1.23 per share for 3000 shares (FMV 1.5 on the exercise date). It was an ISO sale and I held the sold stocks (3000 stocks).

2.) In September 2021, the company was acquired by another company and I received 150 shares of the acquiring company + some cash as part of my ownership of 3000 stocks of my old company (acquired company).

3.) I received 1099-B etc. and probably (I am hoping that) everything was handled well in the 2021 taxes (filed in 2022).

4.) Now, after 1+ years, in March 2023 the broker released a new amount of 4475/- which was held in an escrow. I got the check payment in 2023 and now received a corresponding 1099-B for 4475/- . The problem is that 1099-B has either missing fields, or just not the right information to calculate the cost-basis.

Here are the items/boxes of 1099-B

Reported to IRS: Net Proceeds X (checked)

Applicable check box on Form 8949: X (checked)

1a (Description of property): Shares sold

1b (Date acquired): blank

1c (Date sold or disposed): 17 March 2023

1d (Proceeds): $4475

1e (Cost or other basis): blank

1g: blank

2 (Type of gain or loss): blank

4 (Federal income tax withheld): 0.00

5 (Check if noncovered security): X (checked)

12 (Check if basis reported to IRS): blank (not checked)

14, 15, 16: blank

Now, I think this is a "long term basis not reported to IRS (noncovered)" but even then, TT does not let me proceed and I don't know how to calculate the cost basis with this information. I tried the workflow in TT to calculate the cost basis, but it is asking me questions I don't have answers for.

Can someone please help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies