Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No receipts for repairs

I’m a small landlord with a few single family properties.  Typically they are low maintenance, but every now and then something needs to be repaired/maintained so I usually find a local independent handyman of sorts to come repair the issue.  The people I hire don’t work for a company. For example, I usually cashApp the local neighborhood boy $50 to cut the grass at one of the properties. The problem is these local guys don’t have invoices, or give me receipts for me to upload for tax purposes. They are legitimate expenses that are able to be written off but again, how do I show this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

No receipts for repairs

Can't you ask them for receipts, or are they perhaps not claiming the income?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

No receipts for repairs

You don't have to show any receipts or proof of expenses on your tax return. Just claim the legitimate expenses.

If you get audited you will have to show records of the expenses. You should be keeping detailed written or computerized records of all your expenses. Also keep a copy of the Cash App records or statements showing the payments. Your accounting records plus the records of the payments should be sufficient to support the expenses in an audit. You might want to consult a local CPA for advice on how to keep proper records for your rental properties.

No receipts for repairs

also, hopefully you are paying out a separate business account and not comingling your personal expenses with your business expenses - that separation supports that all the expenses in the business account are just that - business expenses. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies