Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Greta9

I was a silent partner in a rental property so I have no cost basis to write off my capital gains when property sold

My 1099s is $136000 my income is $4000 AGI and I receive soc sec. How much will I have to pay in capital gains to IRS? How much to California taxes? I am considering giving my proceeds to my partner on a 1099B if I need to.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I was a silent partner in a rental property so I have no cost basis to write off my capital gains when property sold

If you are a partner with no investment cost (basis) then your share of the profit is 100% taxable.
Greta9

If my AGI is $4000 and my 1099s is $146,000 what would my tax rate be

Do you have a check in hand for $146,000 less selling expense? That should cover any taxes due.
Greta9

No, I have a check for $86,600 the 1099s is for the actually $136,000 I made a typo.

What is your percentage of ownership?
Hal_Al
Level 15

How did you become a silent partner? If you didn't make an investment, were given a share of the property. The cost basis in a gift is the giver's basis. Was the 1099-S for the entire sale or just your share of the sale? Do you know how the other partners plan to report the sale on their tax returns? You need to coordinate with them. In particular, who will report the depreciation recapture (it should be the partners who claimed in on their Schedule E over the years)? If you only got $86K, where did the other $50K go?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies