Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

new cost basis of wash sale

Yikes-- just discovered my first wash sales!  In 2022,  I had a managed account at Fidelity where 9 shares were sold at a loss ($327.60 total), and in my personal account I had bought 100 sh of the same company within 30 days.

Questions please!

I read that  "The loss that occurs on a wash sale is added to the cost basis of the shares purchased that created the wash sale."  Does this mean that $327.60 needs to be added to the cost basis of all 100 shares?

And if that is correct, would I still need to file an amended 2022 tax return?  thx!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
jtax
Level 10

Did you sell the 100 shares in 2022?

If not just add the $327.60 to the basis of those shares when you sell. Keep copies of the statements/1099 showing the wash sale indication and the purchase until you sell (and then the usual 3 years after the filing date).

If you sold them in 2022 you can amend. However, you are never required to amend for a mistake. You might want to to prevent penalties or interest. However this is a small amount and might not even increase your taxes at all (capital gains can be taxed at zero percent sometimes). You also might want to amend to claim an increased refund (because your basis was higher). But it is probably not worth it for such a modest amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

are you using one account or two.?

If it is in one account, the broker tracks all this for you. You do nothing.

@disusa1 

jtax
Level 10

I read the the post that there were two accounts: one account managed by an advisor, one a personal account. Hence the confusion, the OP hadn't realized the advisor had sold the stock.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just to clarify-- I have 2 separate accounts. In Sept 2022, Fidelity sold 9 shares of a company (for a loss of $327.60)  prior to me buying 100 shares of the same company within 30d later in Oct 2022.  The Fidelity 1099-B does not show the 9 shares as a wash sale.  In 2024, I sold 10 shares for a gain.  In trying to figure my cost basis of these 10 shares, I believe I add $327.60 to the Sept 2022 sell price for 9 shares and the 10th share remains at my Oct 2022 buy price.  Is that correct?

In regards to filing an 2022 amendment, my marginal tax rate is high enough that the $327.60 would require I pay a small amount of tax.  When I go back to my Turbotax 2022 return and request to file an amended return though, it appears like I need to go through my whole tax return again and I don't have any way to indicate a wash sale on the Fidelity 1099-B managed account unless I want to manually enter over 1,000 entries!  I'm stumped.  

Thank you for everyone's replies!

a lot of taxpayers don't report wash sales across accounts because nothing about it is reported to the IRS.

@disusa1 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies