Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MY RENTAL I ONLY CHARGE ENOUGH RENT TO COVER INS AND TAXES? DO I HAVE TO REPORT THIS ON INCOME TAX SINCE NO INCOME FROM THIS PROPERTY, CHILDREN LIVES HERE?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB
Expert Alumni

MY RENTAL I ONLY CHARGE ENOUGH RENT TO COVER INS AND TAXES? DO I HAVE TO REPORT THIS ON INCOME TAX SINCE NO INCOME FROM THIS PROPERTY, CHILDREN LIVES HERE?

Yes, the rent collected still will have to be included in your tax return.

If you decide that you are not renting for profit because you rent the property below the FMV to your children, you have to enter the rental income under Other Reportable Income.

1.      Click on the Search box on the top and type “Other reportable income”.   

2.      Click on “Jump to Other reportable income”

3.      Answer “Yes” to “Did you receive any other taxable income?”

4.      Enter Description and Amount.

The expenses for property tax and mortgage interest can only be deducted on itemized deductions (Schedule A).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB
Expert Alumni

Yes, the rent collected still will have to be included in your tax return.

If you decide that you are not renting for profit because you rent the property below the FMV to your children, you have to enter the rental income under Other Reportable Income.

1.      Click on the Search box on the top and type “Other reportable income”.   

2.      Click on “Jump to Other reportable income”

3.      Answer “Yes” to “Did you receive any other taxable income?”

4.      Enter Description and Amount.

The expenses for property tax and mortgage interest can only be deducted on itemized deductions (Schedule A).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies