Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Must I use fifo when selling mutual funds? I transferred shares from a fund company to a bank. The bank says all transferred shares must be sold at fifo per a IRS reg.

I transferred shares in a regular brokerage from a fund company to a bank investment account. The bank is telling me that all transferred shares must be sold using FIFO per some IRS reg. Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Must I use fifo when selling mutual funds? I transferred shares from a fund company to a bank. The bank says all transferred shares must be sold at fifo per a IRS reg.

No, that is not correct.  With individual stock, you're stuck with either the First In, First Out (FIFO) method or the Specific Shares method. With mutual fund shares, you can use either of these two methods, or you can average the cost of the shares. You do NOT have to use FIFO!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No, that is not correct.  With individual stock, you're stuck with either the First In, First Out (FIFO) method or the Specific Shares method. With mutual fund shares, you can use either of these two methods, or you can average the cost of the shares. You do NOT have to use FIFO!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies