Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Missed depreciation in prior years

In 2019, I bought over 50% of my partner's share in a rental property and forgot to claim depreciation on my prior years' tax returns.

I am preparing 2023 tax return.

I am filling up form 3115 for the missed depreciation for 2019 to 2022 eg $X1.

On my  2023 tax forms, I added this asset to my depreciation assets. It asks for "amount of depreciation taken in prior years".  Should I enter $X1 or $0 on this ?

Or is there any approach I should be adopting ?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

it depends.  When you enter the asset and it has not been entered on your return before, then you should put the date placed in service and the date you acquired it.  They would be the same if it was immediately placed in service (2019).  Do not use a date in 2023. 

The prior depreciation should be automatically calculated in TurboTax and this will be the number you will use on your Form 3115. Do not use the current year's depreciation number.

Once you have the Form 3115 completed, you should enter the prior depreciation as 'Other expense' and describe it as Form 3115 Method or something similar.  The depreciation is easily calculated for you to compare by using the 27.5 year chart (see below for your convenience).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

it depends.  When you enter the asset and it has not been entered on your return before, then you should put the date placed in service and the date you acquired it.  They would be the same if it was immediately placed in service (2019).  Do not use a date in 2023. 

The prior depreciation should be automatically calculated in TurboTax and this will be the number you will use on your Form 3115. Do not use the current year's depreciation number.

Once you have the Form 3115 completed, you should enter the prior depreciation as 'Other expense' and describe it as Form 3115 Method or something similar.  The depreciation is easily calculated for you to compare by using the 27.5 year chart (see below for your convenience).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies