Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Loss on a rental 2018

Hi,

I have rental income that I declared in 2017 but I also had expenses that resulted in a loss. However, in 2018 in is not letting me take a loss but just says I had 0 income for the rental. Have the laws changed or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Loss on a rental 2018

Switch to the FORMS mode and review the Sch E ... did you enter any income ?  Expenses ?  Depreciation ?    Did you use the property personally at any time like a vacation home ?

Also look at the form 8582 ... did the passive loss get limited ? 

Loss on a rental 2018

@Elisesmiles37 wrote:

...in 2018 in is not letting me take a loss but just says I had 0 income for the rental. Have the laws changed or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Did you actively participate in the rental? If so, did you check the appropriate box in TurboTax?

If you actively participated in 2018 and so indicated in TurboTax, you still need to be within the income limit(s) in order to qualify for the special allowance loss deduction (of up to $25,000).

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527#en_US_2018_publink1000219124

Anonymous
Not applicable

Loss on a rental 2018

did you also have a loss in 2018 or was the 2018 income less than the 2017 loss.     you may be subject to the passive activity loss rules. look at form 8582 to see why loss not allowed.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies