Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LLC - Rental Income vs. Ordinary Income

@AmeliesUncle wrote:
If you report it on the 8825, I suspect when you enter the K-1 on your personal tax return that it will be difficult to tell the program it is NOT passive income.

I agree. This would essentially require entering false information, such as indicating the property is a self-rental.

@AmeliesUncle wrote:
If you report it on page 1 of the 1065, it may be tricky to tell the program it is NOT subject to SE tax (it should not populate Box 14 of the K-1.

I agree and this scenario is even worse since, I believe, it would require overrides in Forms Mode if Box 14 is populated.

@tagteam wrote:

I agree. This would essentially require entering false information, such as indicating the property is a self-rental.

If there are not any rentals on page 1 of Schedule E, I would go the Real Estate Professional route because that does not show up on the tax return (it just makes it non-passive).

tccpg288
Returning Member

I have a similar scenario.

The host does provide the services and has a 1065.

I am assuming this could qualify for active activity.

Would the activity be reported on the 8865 for each building then? Or on Page 1 of the return? Does all activity go in the 1065, or is some reported on Sch. C?

this is for schedule C but would apply to a partner who provides substantial services.

If you provide substantial services for the convenience of your guests,
your short-term rentals can be re-classified as a Schedule C business
activity subject to self-employment tax. For example, the operation of
the rental in similar fashion of a bed and breakfast will typically be
considered to be the provision of substantial services.

thus for preparing a partnership return the activities would not be entered on form 8825 buy on page 1 of the 1065. then this would flow to the k-1 as business income and also box 14 of k-1since it would be subject to self-employment taxes.

what if some partners are not active.  then an allocation would need to be made between page 1 and form 8825.

this is an opinion. I'm not citing anything authoritative. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies