Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Linking CA form 8824

Did a like kind exchange of property in CA in 2022 for property outside of CA. In 2023 I need to file a Form 3840, under the instructions for Form 3840 it gives me the option to link to Form 8824 for the tax year when the exchange was made (2022 in my case). Unfortunately TurboTax gives no instructions on how to tell it where to find the Form 8824 nor an option to navigate to my 2022 return. I have tried using the name associated with my 2022 Form 8824, no error message, but no import either. Any suggestions - hate to have to do this manually every year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Linking CA form 8824

TurboTax will generate the original Form 3840 based on the Form 8824 for the year of the exchange transaction. It doesn't have the ability to access that original form year after year. California expects taxpayers to submit Form 3840 with each succeeding year's return until the deferred gain is recognized.

All taxpayers, regardless of residence status or commercial domicile, who exchange real property located in California for like-kind property located outside of California, must file form FTB 3840 with their California tax return. See here for California information on like-kind exchanges.

Form FTB 3840 must be filed for the taxable year of the exchange and for each subsequent taxable year, generally until the California source deferred gain or loss is recognized on a California tax return. 

To get to CA Form 3840 and include it with your 2023 return, go to the California state return interview. When you get to the screen, "Here's the income that California handles differently", scroll down to the section labeled Investments and select "Like-Kind Exchanges for Property Located Outside California", then Yes to complete the form.

For Question B, select the radio button for Annual FTB 3840 since this is not the year of the exchange.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Linking CA form 8824

Yes, unfortunately TurboTax is pretty much useless when it comes to the annual 3840 form. I ended up opening the form on the Franchise Tax Board’s web site and pasting in the information from last year, then printing & mailing the form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies