Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dsbeardsley
Returning Member

lingering TurboTax free file issue

Okay, long story short....Turbo Tax Online is erroneously generating a Schedule B on my daughter's return even though she is well below the $1500 threshold for trigging a Schedule B--like, less than $400 in capital gains on the 1099-DIV. Because of that Schedule B, she cannot utilize "free file" and is required to upgrade to paid software.

This has been a problem/glitch for the last two years (wasn't an issue three years ago though!), and I have been around and around with TT support staff trying unsuccessfully to get a resolution. I have deleted many forms and done all the creative data entry to see if the error is something else, but it's not. This is the problem.

So while I continue to fight this battle, here's a question: Do I HAVE to include the 1099-DIV on the return that is causing TT to mistakenly generate the Schedule B? She is a college student with very limited employment income and capital gains, and is due all the taxes she paid in a full refund. But TT Online won't let me complete the return with Free File because of a mistakenly generated Schedule B. So what if I just don't include the 1099-DIV because ultimately it won't matter at the bottom line, which means no Schedule B, and call it a day? Are there repercussions or possible issues with doing this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

lingering TurboTax free file issue

Yes, you have to report all worldwide income. If not, there will be a letter at some point which usually states money is due. The dividends should be showing on the 1040 line 3b and sch B is not required in her case. I was able to delete mine without an issue.

Delete Sch B.

If you are using:

• Online: see How do I view and delete forms in TTO?
  •  Desktop: If you are working in the cd/download TurboTax program:
    1. On the top right, there is a FORMS button. 
    2. Click on FORMS.
    3. Locate the form you want to delete.
    4. Click on the form name.
    5. Below the form, bottom left, select DELETE FORM button. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies