Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Line 11 on form 1099-DIV is income from Exempt -Interest dividends I thought were free of Federal Taxes or is that free from just State Taxes???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Line 11 on form 1099-DIV is income from Exempt -Interest dividends I thought were free of Federal Taxes or is that free from just State Taxes???

Yes, if the interest is from your state. 

In general, tax-exempt investment income applicable to your state of residence will automatically transfer to the state section if you have indicated that the tax-exempt interest was from that state.

TurboTax will ask you questions to capture these details and automatically allocate the income accordingly. 

Look for the box to check: My form has info in other boxes (this is uncommon). which will open up entry areas for the rest of Form 1099-DIV.

For more information about how the different items reported on Form 1099-DIV are taxed, see: Is There a Dividend Tax? Your Guide to Taxes on Dividends - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

Tax exempt interest is reported on Form 1099-INT: Filing Tax Form 1099-INT: Interest Income - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

Anapp4

Some clarification on the answer please.  Question asked if free from fed taxes or just state tax.  Answer was "yes" - is that "Yes, free from fed taxes, BUT ALSO MAY be free from state, depending on your state"?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@Anapp4 The dividends are free of federal taxation in all cases. They are normally free of state taxation also if the bonds that the interest income is associated with are from the state that you live in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies