Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Landlord travel deductions when NOT from/to your tax home

I am asking this question in the most general way possible because the answer should be easy.  We all know that a landlord can deduct travel expenses when traveling to and from their tax home (A) to their property (B).

What happens when one side of the trip is not their tax home?

For example, I fly from my tax home A to the property B and then wash my hands and fly to see my mother for a week in C.  The work trip was over and done but I don't want to return to my tax home.  Can I deduct an estimate of what returning to my tax home would be?

As another example, I take a month long trip to wherever C, and before returning home I pass by the rental property B to do some tasks, and then return to my tax home.

The examples keep coming.  If I am on vacation in a domestic location C and get called to my property in an emergency, is that travel completely deductible?  It should be.

If I am on vacation anywhere in the world C and get called to the property in an emergency, is that travel deductible?

Thanks

Guy That Doesn't Sit At His Tax Home And Goes On Long Trips

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Landlord travel deductions when NOT from/to your tax home

If you keep good records and can document the travel expenses that directly relate to the management of your rental property, you may be able to report these as Rental Expenses. Be prepared to produce this evidence in case the IRS questions your deduction.

According to IRS Pub 527 Travel expenses: "You can deduct the ordinary and necessary expenses of traveling away from home if the primary purpose of the trip is to collect rental income or to manage, conserve, or maintain your rental property. You must properly allocate your expenses between rental and nonrental activities."

And, under Local transportation expenses: "...transportation expenses incurred to travel between your home and a rental property generally constitute nondeductible commuting costs unless you use your home as your principal place of business. "

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies