Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TonyMo1
Returning Member

K1 - USO

I received a K1 with $7001 in box 11.  I still have not sold my shares of USO.  How do i not get double taxed on this when i sell.  If i enter the 7k this year I'm paying a lot of taxes on unrealized gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

K1 - USO

that's the way partnership taxation works. you get taxed on the income regardless of whether they distribute the income or not.  so you'll need to report this as income on your 1040. you will not get taxed twice because this income increases your tax basis which will lower your taxable gain.

here's info on how to report when you make a total disposition of all of your holdings. if tax laws change the following could change

If a total disposition, proceed as follows:

On the k-1 disposition section for sales price use the ordinary income (sometimes you’ll see a column with the “751” or the words ”gain subject to recapture as ordinary income”. this might be 0. 
Cost is zero
Ordinary income is the sales price.
This info flows to form 4797 line 10 and is taxed as ordinary income.

Now for the 8949.
The broker’s form is probably coded as B or E – sales proceeds but not cost basis reported to the IRS. This is because the broker does not track the tax basis. It used what you paid originally which is not the correct.

The correct tax basis is:
What you paid originally, should be the same as what is on 8949,
Then there is a column on the sales schedule that says "cumulative adjustment to basis". If it’s positive add it to the original cost. If it’s negative subtract the amount.
Finally, add the amount of ordinary income reported above.
The result is your corrected tax basis for form 8949.

AamilD
Expert Alumni

K1 - USO

USO is an Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) which is organized as a partnership. When you own shares in USO, you are considered as a partner and receive a form K-1 representing your distributive share of the income of the partnership. You have to enter this form K-1 on your tax return. The income is taxable.

To avoid being taxed twice on this income, you add this income to the cost basis of your USO and have to adjust the cost basis when you sell these shares.

TonyMo1
Returning Member

K1 - USO

thank you,  So i need to adjust the 1099B that was sent by fidelity with the adjusted cost basis?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

K1 - USO

Yes, you should enter your actual cost basis when completing the investment sale for the Form 1099-B. Fidelity likely does not know your actual cost basis for the adjustments taking place through the K-1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies