Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 smart check error with negative entries

TT is flagging 4 similar and related errors with 2 of my K-1/K-3 forms, preventing me from e-filing.

Both K-1 forms report losses (amounts with negative signs) for Box 2, Net rental real estate income (loss), in Part III Partner's Share of Current Year Income, Deductions, Credits, Other Items.

TT smart check says for each K-1:
Sch K-1 Wks-Partnerships (K-1 Name Here) Box 2 should not have an amount. Use 'delete' to remove the entry.
and,
Sch K-1 Wks-Partnerships (K-1 Name Here) Box 2 has an amount but does not agree with the type of activity indicated. You may want to include this amount on another K-1 worksheet where you match it up with the type of activity.

These K-1 forms were imported but all TT entries match the printed K-1 forms exactly.
What can I do to enable e-filing without removing correct entries? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

only an idea as to what the problem is. when you imported the wrong activity type got checked. yuo have to go back to the wages and income section eventually tp the partnership k-1 and then proceed from page by page for each K-1 until you reach a page that says at the top, CHOOSE TYPE OF ACTIVITY  - rental real estate - Box 2 should be checked.  My hunch is that the wrong box got checked when you imported. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

only an idea as to what the problem is. when you imported the wrong activity type got checked. yuo have to go back to the wages and income section eventually tp the partnership k-1 and then proceed from page by page for each K-1 until you reach a page that says at the top, CHOOSE TYPE OF ACTIVITY  - rental real estate - Box 2 should be checked.  My hunch is that the wrong box got checked when you imported. 

Your reply was a very good place to start. The correct box 2 was checked BUT had a strange, faint, dotted checkbox immediately to the right (for some reason on only one K-1). I checked another activity type to clear box 2 and then re-checked box 2 again (on both of the K-1s, just to be sure). The strange dotted checkbox was gone. I also cleared the negative number and re-entered it on both of the K-1s. I THINK editing the K-1s triggered the creation of duplicate, additional K-1s as the screen mentions which then resulted in only K-1 Partner name too long (included text Box 1 text) errors. After trimming the names, I passed smart check and e-filed. Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies