Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AS57
Level 1

K-1 is not going to be received by April 15th.

I have contacted a company that I am expecting a K-1 from and they have told me that I will receive this K-1 but it will be after April 15th. This will likely impact my taxes owed on April 15th so I am not sure how to handle this situation but I want to do the right thing. I believe I have 3 options:

1- File my tax return and amend this when I receive the K-1. This issue with this is I believe I will owe more taxes but I don't know the exact amount that I need to pay by April 15th. Will I be penalized when I amend my taxes once I receive the K-1?

2- File an extension. Again I don't know the amount I will owe on April 15th because I don't have the K-1.  Will I be penalized once I receive the K-1 and complete my taxes?

3- Create an estimated K-1 without knowing the actual number of the K-1 to try to cover the amount I will likely owe. How do I show this as an estimated K-1 in Turbo Tax?

If I want/need to pay an estimated payment how do I do this in Turbo Tax when I file?

What is the proper solution that will please the IRS for handling this unknown?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

1- File my tax return and amend this when I receive the K-1. This issue with this is I believe I will owe more taxes but I don't know the exact amount that I need to pay by April 15th. Will I be penalized when I amend my taxes once I receive the K-1?. Ask the partnership can provide an estimate of the income you'll need to report. then include it in Turbotax. if they can't or won't use your best guess to avoid penalties for underestimating your balance due. Full payment is due 4/15. There would be no penalties if you file an amended return after getting the actually k-1 and amending if nothing is owed. I recommend option 2. If there is an overpayment showing on the return filed the iRS will refund this so you could be short when the actual k-1 comes through.

with an extension, nothing is refunded until the actual return is filed.   

2- File an extension. Again I don't know the amount I will owe on April 15th because I don't have the K-1.  Will I be penalized once I receive the K-1 and complete my taxes? Same as above file an extension but you need to include an estimate of the income for the partnership in calculating if there is a balance due that must be paid by 4/15. Underestimate it and the IRS will charge you late payment penalties and interest. Then when you get the k-1 you change the numbers and e-file 

3- Create an estimated K-1 without knowing the actual number of the K-1 to try to cover the amount I will likely owe. How do I show this as an estimated K-1 in Tur/that's how you get the estimated income into Turbotax in the correct section. 

Turbotax does not allow an estimate deignation for a box when e-filing so you'll have to enter it as an actual amount or file by mail. 

AS57
Level 1

That helps. 

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies