Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It seems my capital loss is being carried over incorrectly. Income Stocks... line shows -$3891. But in preview, line 6 Capital Loss shows only -$1523. (Filing joint).

I've double checked all numbers downloaded from my 1099-B. I've also manually filled out Schedule D and 8949 myself coming up with a $3000 loss and carryover of $847.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

It seems my capital loss is being carried over incorrectly. Income Stocks... line shows -$3891. But in preview, line 6 Capital Loss shows only -$1523. (Filing joint).

Look at Part III of Schedule D to find the source of the ($1,523) capital loss reported on line 6 of Form 1040.

Here's how to find the PDF of your current year tax return, before you file:

1. If you're not already in your return, sign in and open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools and then Print Center from the left menu.
  3. Select the first option, Print, save, or preview this year's return and follow any additional instructions.  
  4. If you haven't paid your TurboTax fees yet, you'll have to do so to create the PDF.

If you save this PDF to your computer before you've finished your return, I recommend that you give it a conspicuous name (e.g., include DRAFT) in the name, to distinguish it from the final filed tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.  You gave me the missing piece which was how to view Schedule D.

Now I understand what the calculation is.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies